Friday, January 28, 2011

Moving On

One year ago today, I was dismissed from the hospital following the removal of my thyroid. That was a pretty big deal. Once again, I am struck by what a difference a year makes. Today my biggest concern is dealing with an unusually long and radically twisted colon. Hmmmm.

Makes me think, though, that I am quite possibly closing in on the final chapter of this blog. I may have bared my soul as far as anyone cares to know. I still have a story to tell…a song to sing…a life to live. But, as life returns to normal…it just may no longer be that interesting. I’ll have to give it some thought, but I’m thinking my first follow-up appointment at the end of February may just be a good stopping point.

But, for right now, I am enjoying the idea of taking an entire month off from medical appointments. It has literally been 15 months since I had that luxury. It’s time to start thinking about how to live with cancer. You see, breast cancer survivors are only considered to be in remission…never cured…because there is always that possibility that it will come back. I was told that from the very beginning. And, realistically, I have still not been told that I am in remission. That is what I am waiting to hear from Dr. D. when I see him again on 2/25.

In the meantime, I have plans to make. I have a vacation to take. I have a body to whip back into shape. I have to figure out how to use my experiences to help others. I’ve been asked to give serious consideration to the possibility of a book. AND, I have a wedding to help plan. These are just a few of the things at the top of my bucket list right now. But first, I need to hear those words from Dr. D. While I welcome the break in the medical action, I also recognize that it is going to be a long month. I so need him to just call off the dogs and tell me everything is fine. So, that will be 2/25. On 2/26 we will step into that long awaited light at the end of the tunnel…on the shores of South Padre Island. Seems fitting that it may also be the day that I pen my final “Later” on this blog. We’ll see.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment