Monday, January 10, 2011

Deja Vu

Funny...a year ago it seemed like every appointment, every treatment, every procedure happened to fall on a particularly bad weather day. Today, I had a MUGU scan scheduled first thing at Mercy. And, we had a snow storm. Oh well. Fortunately Ken didn't have class today and was more than happy to taxi me in his four wheel drive pick-up. Wasn't sure that my little car would be able to navigate the 14 inches of snow very well. But, we got there no problem in the truck and everything went smoothly. As I was lying on the table, I was puzzled once again by the bougainvillea on the ceiling. They have a pot of artificial bougainvillea hanging from the ceiling tile grid...I assume to give you something to focus on other than the sterility of the hospital beige walls and ceiling. But it just looks out of place to me. I love bougainvillea, but somehow, it just doesn't seem like it belongs on the ceiling. I think about that every time I have this procedure. Oh well.

So, from there I went to work. In thinking back to a year ago, I barely made it in to the office at all during January and February. Today I was there in the middle of a snow storm. What a difference a year makes. Someone told me I shouldn't look back. But, I think it's OK to look back, as long as your focus is on how far you've come and on celebrating the victories the past year has brought. A year ago, it was all I could do to fix a home cooked meal once in awhile. Tonight, I have a pot of homemade lentil soup simmering on the stove...perfect fare for a night like this. And, I enjoy being able to do things like that again. We tend to take so many things for granted. Just chopping all the vegetables for homemade soup takes a lot of effort when all you really are trying to do is focus on not getting sick. Ken became an expert "chopper" last winter.

I was supposed to have my first exercise class for cancer patients tonight, but it was cancelled due to weather. Bummer.

But, enough about my day. Now I just wait until Friday to find out the results of this most recent procedure. Hope you're all staying warm.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment