Monday, January 25, 2010

I'm Ready

It's kind of mind boggling how, in the blink of an eye, a person can go from one who hasn't been inside of a doctor's office in 5 years or more to one who spends half their waking moments there.

Last Friday I spent the entire morning at Mercy undergoing pre-op testing. Everything from blood work to EKG and chest x-ray. Then had an appointment with my primary care physician after that. This morning I was at the Cancer Center for several hours and this afternoon had to check in with my surgeon to get confirmation of surgery. It is now officially scheduled for tomorrow at 12:30. I'm nervous but ready to move forward and get it over with.

I had a bit of a disappointment today at the Cancer Center. My oncologist had talked to me about participating in a clinical trial for breast cancer which could potentially greatly increase my chances of the cancer not recurring. I had read all the information on it and was to sign the consent forms today. However, this morning I was turned down because of the new development of thyroid cancer. This would have been a great opportunity not only for my own situation but I felt really good about participating in something that could benefit others down the road, in particular my daughters and grandaughter. Another bummer.

On a lighter note, does anyone know if they will let you wear a hat in surgery...a hat other than that surgical gauzy thing, that is. I sure hope so. :)

Well, that's about it, I guess. Talk to you all on the other side of this madness.

Later.

5 comments:

  1. Be thinking of you tomorrow Cathy. Wishing you a speedy recovery through this step.

    Cindy B. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about the clinical trial. But, don't ever underestimate the gift you're giving your girls ... and grand-girl right now. You are showing them how a woman can look life square in the eye and muster up all her strength and faith to not only get by .... but get through - whatever life throws at her.

    Take care and I would think those ugly blue paper shower cap things they use could fit over a reasonably sized and fashionable hat ... Take your favorite one along and give it a shot. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another big day. 12:30 you will be in our thoughts and prayers.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Thinking of you today. The sun is shining so good things will happen. Today will be a ruff day for you but tomorrow it will be better. Thinking and praying for your speady recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We hope it all went well and you're recovery time is speedy. We're praying for good news in the path reports. Take care - Rick & Jean

    ReplyDelete