Saturday, July 10, 2010

Seize the Day

What a way to wake up. A cool lake breeze coming in the bedroom window and the low roll of distant thunder in the background. It was a little earlier than I would have preferred to be awake...I seem to feel like sleeping all the time...but a rare opportunity to enjoy nature at its best. So, I pulled up the blanket and just laid there enjoying the sounds, knowing that I would have the opportunity to enjoy the promise of sun on the water later on. It wasn't long before it started to rain, though not hard and the sound of the gentle drops on the window against the backdrop of the thunder was just about perfect. Ken had gotten up earlier, upon hearing the thunder and was in the family room enjoying the view of the clouds and rain across the lake from the wide expanse of windows. Me...I preferred to stay cuddled up in bed and just listen.

It wasn't long before the thunder started to fade and the clouds began to break. And, there it was. The light at the end of the tunnel. It was like a reminder to me that just as there is sunshine after the rain, there will be light after the darkness of these past many months. And, there is something almost therapeutic about being here. A week-end at the lake may not heal the body but it does wonders for the mind and the soul. I always say that I was born to be on the water. The ocean may be my first love, but the lake is certainly a close second. Thanks so much to Sue and Ron for being willing to share their cabin and the lake experience.

So, not wanting to miss out on a moment, sleep lost out and I got up to make some coffee. There's nothing like that first cup of morning coffee at the lake. I couldn't help but think while I was making it, how lucky I am to be a person who can so fully appreciate the simple things in life...things like just sitting and watching the sun on the water while sipping my morning coffee. Some people can and some can't...or won't. I personally love it. It is a way to push aside all the mental garbage and just appreciate what life is all about. I suppose once you have found yourself in a position to realize that life as you have always known it could end sooner rather than later, it becomes easier to appreciate each god given moment and experience. So, just thought I would also share it with all of you. Right now the sun is shining brightly so I need to get outside and enjoy it. Haven't had much sun time so far this summer.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a perfect morning! Glad you are able to enjoy the weekend on the lake, and the finer things in life that come along with being close to nature.

    ReplyDelete