Thursday, July 15, 2010

Hair Day

No, not a bad hair day. That was back on my January 4 blog post. Not a good hair day either. Just a hair day. I stopped by to see Candace (my hairdresser) this evening...told her we need a plan. I am just beginning to get some hair growth...not enough to do anything with...doesn't even cover my head yet. But, that day is coming so just wanted Candace to know that I will be back...eventually.

She said it looks like it will probably be around Thanksgiving before there is enough to try to do anything with and even then, it won't be much. Probably a couple of inches. As long as I am still receiving chemo, it will grow very slowly. But, hey, it's growing and that's what counts. So, that is a small ray of light peeking through this tunnel. It's been nearly 7 months now since I lost my hair.

Ironically, Candace mentioned something that happened on my last appointment right before I was diagnosed. I had been remembering the same incident myself when I decided I was going to stop in today. That day I'm referring to was the day before I was scheduled to have a variety of tests at Mercy. One of those tests was the mammogram which resulted in my diagnosis. Anyway, while I was there a lady came in to see Candace and I could tell by looking at her that she was a cancer patient. She was wearing a ball cap and had just a small amount of hair beginning to grow back. She had stopped in to see Candace and talk about what to do with her hair. There was something about her that I couldn't get out of my mind and the next day I was diagnosed myself. It was the strangest experience but one that both Candace and I clearly remember.

So, now I'm where she was many months ago. And Candace says she is doing great. Hopefully, I will too.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment