Monday, July 26, 2010

Graduation

The alarm went off at 6:30 am and as I struggled to open my eyes the realization hit me that week-end was over and it was time to get up and face another radiation appointment. But this Monday is different...it is the first day of my last week of radiation.

I mentioned this last week, but today they started something different. He called it radiation boost. It is a different type of radiation treatment, targeted at a more speciric area to include the tumor cavity and the incision. These treatments are supposed to increase your chances of avoiding a recurrence of the cancer. The main difference I noticed was that the machine is placed much closer to the body and it includes an added piece which directs the beam more specifically. They only treat from one angle, directly above you, rather than from several angles. Otherwise, it seemed pretty similar.

Since it is Monday, the treatment was again followed by a meeting with the dietician and then the doctor. He said the treatments are going well and he will see me again on Friday this week since that is my last treatment. He called it my graduation day. I had not heard that term used before but it's kind of cool, huh? I will graduate from yet another phase of my treatment...no reception, no gifts, please :)...but definitely a celebration. Looking forward to Friday.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. Awe ... come on... Can't we bring balloons or something ?!? Or maybe cupcakes ! Congratulations. I'm sure you're graduating SummaCumLaude ...or at least SummaCumHappy ! So glad for you that this phase will soon be behind you and you'll be one step closer to the end of that tunnel ! Jean

    ReplyDelete