Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Night Before

So, by this time tomorrow, I'll know the answer to the question, has my cancer spread? I guess that kind of makes it D Day, doesn't it? Diagnosis Day, that is. It's been three weeks already since this whole thing started. What a long time to have this hanging over my head. But, I realized tonight that I'm at peace with it, whatever it is.

This on the heels of yet another study on routine mammograms. I have said before that it is my hope that I can use my cancer experience to help others in whatever way I can. I am not a medical professional but I am living, breathing proof that routine mammograms can detect breast cancer that might otherwise go undetected until it is too late. I wholeheartedly recommend that you "go with your gut" on this one and forget all the studies. It's your life and your body and this is a decision to be made by you, number one, and your doctor. If you don't trust your doctor, get a different one.

It was a year ago that I made the long overdue decision to find another doctor. For him to accept you as a patient he requires that you come in for a complete physical. He scheduled a routine mammogram, among other things, although the exam had turned up no indication of possible cancer. The rest is history.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. I am not "pro-pink." I am "pro-knowledge is power". If you have never had a mammogram or you are past due for one, please give it your prayerful consideration. It could save your life.

As for me, whether I have 2 years, 20 years or more left, I will be doing what I can to help others who have faced or will be facing a cancer diagnosis. It may be through this blog or through volunteer activities or, who knows, maybe some day I'll write a book. Until cancer is eventually eradicated so that no one else has to go through what I and many others have, it will be my cause.

Once again tomorrow I face labs, exam, chemo, sitting around waiting and, this time, a diagnostic consultation to discuss the results of my recent tests. Yes, by this time tomorrow, I'll know. I will update you.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. Hi You are not alone. We are with you. Keep a positive mental attitude and just be glad for another day. Only God knows our date and when he calls we go. We will all be faced with it one time or another that is part of life.You are a survivor and what has happened to you so far and what you have overcome you would not think there would be anymore. Keep your spirits up and hope all goes well today. Thinking of you and wishing you the best. Barb

    ReplyDelete