Saturday, September 25, 2010

First Haircut

I didn't get up thinking that this was going to be another one of those "hair days" but that is what it ended up being.

I decided after my shower that I was going to try to spike it since I have had so many people express the opinion that I should do that. Actually, I did try it awhile back but couldn't get it to stand up so today I used more gel and was a little more successful. But I looked in the mirror and there was my dad staring back at me. SERIOUSLY.

Here's the deal. When I was growing up, my dad wore his hair in a flat top. For those of you too young to know what that is, it was a pretty popular men's hairstyle back in the 50s and 60s. It was cut about an inch long and stood straight up on top. The sides and back were cut short. My dad had a great flat top and his hair was gray. I don't remember his hair ever being any color other than gray. He went gray very young. Anyway, with my hair kind of standing up on top but being too short to spike anywhere else, I swear I am the spitting image of my dad. Couldn't do it. Couldn't wear my hair like my dad. Maybe I'll try it again later when it gets longer...or maybe not.

Then, this afternoon Michelle had a hair appointment so I decided to stop in to get some input from Candace on the unruly way in which my hair is growing in. She was amazed at how thick it is and most of all, how curly it is. Yes it is. She offered to trim it just a bit for me so, totally unexpected, I had my first "post bald" haircut today. She tried 3 different products on it to see if she could get it to lay down but nothing worked. It is totally in to doing its own thing. But, with the trim, it does look a bit less disheveled.

She and Michelle got their kicks making fun of me. I still haven't decided whether or not I like the color so they decided maybe I should try going from silver to copper. Instead of looking like a dime, I could look like a penney. :) Well, THEY thought it was funny. Actually, Candace joined the ranks of those who claim to like the silver look. In her words..."Hey, I wouldn't kid about that. I'm a hair dresser and it's my job to try to get money out of you. But, I like the color as it is." She thinks as slow as it's growing, it will be the first of the year before I could do anything with it anyway. So, guess I don't have to worry about it right now.

OK...the tests. Didn't mention the subject because I'm trying not to focus on it. Everything went OK. Once they got the IV in for the MUGA at Mercy, they decided to leave it in so I wouldn't have to have it done again at the Cancer Center. So, that was good. The PET prep is interesting. They have to test your blood sugar to make sure it is not high enough to fight with the sugar solution they have to inject. They fill several syringes with this radioactive stuff, which, by the way, was my second radiactive high of the day. They draw some blood before the MUGA and then mix it with some sort of radioactive stuff and then reinject it into you. So, anyway, prior to the PET, they bring in this metal box which contains syringes of radioactive glucose or some such thing, and inject it into your IV. You are in a small, dimly lit room which has a big radioactive sign on the door. You sit in a recliner and, in my case, cover up with a couple of blankets. (I am always cold) Once she injects the solution, the tech leaves and you just relax in the dark and quiet room for an hour while this stuff courses through your system. Then she comes bank to get you and starts the picture taking process. I think the table you have to lie on is about 12 inches wide on a good day. I couldn't help but think about how accustomed I had become to lying under massive pieces of heavy technology while they circle the body at very close range and either shoot you with radiation or record views or your insides or whatever the deal of the day happens to be. A year ago, I had never done any of this, ever. Anyway, enough on that. It went OK but I won't know anything until Friday. Must come up with ways to distract my mind until then.

Later.

4 comments:

  1. If you want to distract yourself this week - try thinking of all the people you know ... people who come into work ... etc. Then assign a "monetary color" or some other "color word" to their hair. Mine's a combo right now - kind of mousey brown, with a little dishwater blonde & some gray mixed in. I think I'll call it "chinchilla" ... don't know how to spell it or what color they are - but sounds rich don't you think? - Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any time ! Happy to help ... - Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Your hair looks great. I think this works well with the color of your skin and it seems to have a lot of body. Friday will come soon enough so just keep busy and let time fly by. I am sure all is well and it is just a step needed before you go to the next level. You look great and hope you are feeling the same. Just take today and tomorrow will come soon enought. Barb

    ReplyDelete