Sunday, September 5, 2010

What a Difference a Year Makes

Just sitting here staring at the lake and thinking...

Friday evening Kelli and Brett met up in Sioux City and we hosted a small engagement dinner party. What a great time we had. Saturday morning we all visited a few possible wedding venues. What a huge decision. It looks like they are going to have to decide between standing firm on the date they would like and selecting a venue that isn't their first choice or changing the date so that they can get one of their preferred venues. Places are already booked for the entire month of June, 2011. I'm sure they will decide soon.

Saturday aftenoon, we turned the house over to them to just enjoy each others company for a few days before Kelli has to return to Denver and Brett returns to UNI. Ken and I left for the cabin to spend the remainder of the holiday week-end with Sue and Ron.

It was absolutely beautiful when we arrived. It did cool off last night but we built a beach fire and enjoyed the warmth while admiring the night sky.

Interesting thing. We were talking about being there for Labor Day weekend a year ago which was right at the time that I had finally stepped up and made an appointment with a new doctor. He was going to require a complete physical with the associated tests including mammogram. Susan took a picture of me next to the fire pit that night. It is still on her camera. She took another just like it last night. Same firepit, same angle, same time of night, same me. Except that they look like two different people. It is amazing what a difference a year has made.

I had an appointment with that same doctor last week. He likes to keep tabs on me and how things are going with the cancer. At the end of the appointment he said that he would not need to see me until the end of the year. He is the nicest man and said that when he sees me again we will put 2010 behind us and start looking forward to 2011. I agree with him for the most part but there are parts of this past year that I will never forget. And there are things...life lessons learned...that I always want to keep top of mind. Next month will be the one year anniversary of my diagnosis. It has been a long, hard year, but there have been positives too. And those are the things I want to focus on.

I am glad that all of this happened a year ago and not this year. This year we can switch the focus from fighting for my life to helping with wedding plans and looking forward to Kelli and Brett's new life together. Life is good.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. Hi It is great to see you looking so good. Yes many changes but you look great so keep marching forward. The cancer might have changed you on the outside but inside you are still the same. Wiser and stronger. Every experience gives us more confidence and the strength to go on. You have a wedding to look forward to so concentrate on that and it will help the time go faster. It is hard to believe that Christmas is only a little over 3 months away. I thought we just had gotten finished with that. With the Holidays coming time will fly by faster. We need to put brakes on and slow things down. Keep staying healthy and one step at a time. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a good holiday. Something tells me you're gonna be a busy "mother of the bride". Enjoy it ... the planning goes so fast! Please give Kelli & Brett our best. Here's to 2011. May she hold sunshine, smiles and that bright light at the end of the tunnel! - Jean

    ReplyDelete