Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year

What a rush of emotion as 2010 grinds to a close. Isn't it crazy how the passage of time changes appearance so greatly, depending on which end of the spectrum you're viewing it through. This time last year,  I couldn't even imagine seeing the end of all this. Now, looking back at it, it somehow doesn't look nearly as foreboding as it did when looking ahead.

Oh, don't get me wrong...it has definitely been a long, difficult year...but, it is amazing how we can make our way through something if we just take one day at a time. You get up in the morning and ask for the strength to get through that day. Then, you put one foot in front of the other and move through it.

We all, on New Years Eve, tend to look back at the year behind us, but I have never been so overwhelmed by the scope of a year as I am by this one. There was plenty of negative, plenty of pain, plenty of scary, but also plenty of positive and plenty of just comfortably good experiences as well. I discovered a strength I never realized I had. I discovered a closeness of family and friends that I had never taken the time to enjoy. And, I experienced a realignment of priorities which I expect to last through the remainder of my life. I have an acceptance of who I am and a comfort in my own skin that I don't believe I've ever had before. So, as I toast the end of 2010 tonight, it will certainly be with a sigh of relief and a measure of joy, but it will not be with any kind of hard or negative feelings. Yes, 2010 will always be the year that was colored by cancer, but it was a year that was good to me on so many levels as well.

After all, I remember one year ago, refusing to go to bed before midnight no matter how tired I felt, just in case it ended up being my last New Years Eve. I wanted to experience it to the fullest. But, here I am, preparing to toast another new year, and all the better for my experiences of the last.

Hope you're all having a safe, sane and happy New Year's Eve and that 2011 brings you the best of everything. Happy New Year everyone!

Later.

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I am glad last year is behind you. I always knew you had the strength and determination to fight the cancer and you did. Look forward and forget what you have been through.Each day is a gift so enjoy what you have to look forward to.It will be a great year with a beautiful wedding so relax and enjoy. Keep your thoughts on only the fun things and take one step at a time. Tomorrow may be better. I will be leaving for Arizona on Monday and will see you the end of the month. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a fervent prayer that you and everyone else has a great 2011. If it's not a stress-free year ( and I'm pretty sure it won't be) may we all learn the lessons of each passing day with as much grace and as positive an attitude as you have shown in 2010. It's tempting to just shut the cover on the book of each year ... but wiser yet to leave the volume open just a crack so that the lessons learned can light the way through the days and months to come. Take care and let us know how your tests come out. Have fun in Arizona, Barb! Think about us as you bask in the sunshine. - Jean

    ReplyDelete