Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Potato

I pulled a potato out of the bag the other day and was blown away by what I saw. It was a perfect heart shaped potato. (see photo) I just had to smile. What an anomaly. I couldn't bring myself to cut it, so I just set it on the counter and left it there.

Yesterday, after work, Marilyn stopped over for coffee. Knowing that I am scheduled for chemo on Thursday and knowing that Tuesdays and Thursdays are Ken's long days at school, she offered to go to the Cancer Center with me. I had been planning on just driving myself this time, but given the fact that I had a strangely difficult time with my last treatment, I was happy to accept her offer. I hate to have anyone give up the better part of their day to sit there. Ken normally does it and Marilyn has done it before as well. But, it really does help to have someone with you.

After she left, I happened to glance at that potato and it occurred to me that since the heart is a universal symbol of love and caring, this potato was sent as a reminder to me that no matter what challenges I, or any of us, face - whether they are cancer or chemo related or any other of life's challenges that may come our way - they can be dealt with and overcome by leaning on the love of friends, the love of family and the love of God. This love can take many forms - sitting with someone at the Cancer Center or wherever, posting a blog comment, holding someone up in prayer, giving a hug or whatever. Love is all around us - it's offered up for the taking.

"Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things...so faith, hope, love abide, these three, but the greatest of these is love."  (from 1 Corinthians 13)

So...chemo tomorrow. A bit apprehensive. Maybe I should take the potato with me.

Later.

4 comments:

  1. Love this! I hope tomorrow passes quickly and as painlessly as possible. We're always thinking about you.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have always had friends you just need to reach out and touch. If you ask anyone they would be happy to help in anyway. You are not alone in this battle we are all there with you. You have many talents and the strength to survive. Show others the way and learn from others. It makes the journey of life so much easier not to go it alone. When you get your strength back be there for others that have not yet walked in your shoes. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw your post - It's wonderful. Hope today went well and ... I really hope you took that potato with you. Conversation starter and smile bringer ! - You're in my thoughts and prayers - Take care - Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. God sends his messages in the smallest of things, hence the potato. I took my brother to the cancer center today. He had radiation,labs,nurse visit. Then got his pump out. They send him home with a pump that lasts 48 hours. He has had chemo twice and both times developed the hiccups for three days. This time the doctor prescribed him something to help. So hopefully it will. The radiation really knocks him out. You are so blessed to have a spouse to go home to. I'm sure making this journey without one is even harder. So you hang in there.

    Cindy B. :-)

    ReplyDelete