Monday, November 8, 2010

Nails, etc.

Before I even start, let me say that I know these things pale in comparison to the fact that I am still alive. I recognize that, I am very aware of that and I celebrate that.

That doesn't change the fact that chemo causes radical changes to your body and your lifestyle and dealing with, adjusting to and accepting these things is not always easy. Today is one of those challenging days.

Several of the chemo drugs I have received can severely damage your nails. Dr. D. told me some time ago to make sure I kept my nails cut short because the chemo does so much damage to your nails that if you happen to catch them on something you can pull your nail off. I have been diligent about that and, so far, still have all of my nails. However, lately, my fingernails have started splitting straight down the middle and then catching on everything. As soon as I notice it, I cut the split part off but I can't seem to keep up with it. I just cut off a couple yesterday -- then noticed this morning that 3 more are split. They're already so short I don't know what else to do. I also have one toenail that is only attached by about 1/4 inch. If anyone has any great ideas, I'm open to them.

Also -- my hair just gets curlier by the day. I've given up trying to slick it down. It won't do that even fresh out of the shower anymore. Someone told me today that I look artsy craftsy - like I belong on sabbatical in Boulder with a backpack slung over my shoulder. Hmmm - guess that would be better than being hooked up to an infusion pump at the Cancer Center receiving more drugs which create more side effects.

The other thing I continue to struggle with is fatigue. Both the Herceptin and the Femara which I'm on right now cause fatigue and that is the biggest stumbling block in my attempt to resume a normal life. It seems to have a cumulative effect and there are days when it is literally a challenge to just get out of bed.

In the end, this too shall pass. I know that. In the meantime, I'll just keep struggling on days like this and do my best to stay focussed. I'm not complaining -- I'm just saying...

Later.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Have you checked with someone that does manacures. I think there is a nail polish that hardens the nail. I think also if you take geletin that will also help. Just a suggestion. Barb

    ReplyDelete