Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Yesterday

If you are one of the people who emailed me yesterday and didn't get a response, let me explain. I guess yesterday was the day they had warned me about.

First of all, I woke up very early sneezing repeatedly. Thought mybe it was just temporary from the 2nd chemo drug but it kept up. In addition, I felt extremely exhausted...more tired than I can ever remember feeling. I was thinking I was very glad that my Cancer Center appointment wasn't until afternoon because I didn't even have the energy to get ready and go.

But eventually I had to because I had labs and a nursing consultation scheduled. They drew blood and eventually called me back. This is the point in the chemo cycle where the drugs that are attacking the cancer cells also do a number on your good cells. They expect that to happen and monitor you closely for it. The nurse said that for the most part my numbers were in a range that they could deal with but my white count was dangerously low. They want it to be over 1000 and mine was 127, which, according to my sister who works in the medical lab field says might just as well be 0 because you have virtually no white cells at that point. That leaves you extremely vulnerable to infection. That coupled with the fact that I had a low grade fever and an apparent sinus infection were red flags that the nurse thought she should discuss with the doctor before letting me leave so I went back to the reception area to wait and see what they wanted to do.

Ended up the nurse actually got me in to see one of the doctors even though I didn't have an appointment and it was determined that I should go on a course of antibiotics just to be on the safe side. So, today I am on "Precautions" which apparently is what they call it when this happens and they give you a long list of things to not do. And, I am on gigantic antibiotic pills which anyone who knows me is a big deal because I gag on the smallest of tiny little pills. :) But she said things should turn around within a couple of days and be fine. This is just part of life now. And, I was there at the right time and got what I needed so was able to avoid an ER run so that is good.

I should get to those emails soon so keep them coming. I love hearing from everyone and am always pleased to see a new follower on this blog. Later.

4 comments:

  1. Get some rest! I hope you feel better soon.

    Can you cut those giant pills into thirds or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand that problem with the giant pills. I think we inherited that from Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope today is a better day. Take care - Jean & Rick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone and Happy New Year one and all!

    ReplyDelete