Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas

Merry Christmas, all! What a different Christmas it has been. The weather...what about that? It certainly has thrown a monkey wrench into lots of peoples plans. We were fortunate. Kelli and Brett had plans to drive home right before Christmas but decided to come early to be with me for my first chemo treatment. That meant they were here safe and sound before the first snowflakes fell. Michelle and the kids, of course, live here in town so they headed over early yesterday and just brought all their stuff and moved in. So we had a big slumber party last night for Christmas Eve.

It was the first time in many, many years that I didn't host the big Christmas Eve bash for Marilyn, Russ, Jen and the kids and anyone else who happened to be in town. I felt really badly about that.

We missed Matt and Sara but are happy knowing they were safe and sound and enjoying Christmas with their Denver and extended family. They will begin a new adventure on Sunday as they load up a moving truck and move to their new home in the mountains.

This morning, I woke up a little after five with a really raspy cough. Got up for a bit but then was able to go back to bed and sleep for a couple of hours and got up feeling better. We were just getting a late start on opening gifts when the power went off. What an old fashioned feeling but what a peaceful morning we had.

I forgot to mention on my last post that I had ordered a couple of hats and they arrived a couple of days ago. Thought I should be prepared. I haven't been able to mentally wrap my brain around trying them on, however. Not exactly sure how I am going to react to that bend in the tunnel.

My mind unfortunately strayed back to Christmas 15 years ago when my dad received his cancer diagnosis. We took off for Denver to help them prepare to move back to Iowa to begin treatments. As we took down their lovingly placed Christmas decorations, we had no idea that it would be for the last time. That was Dad's last Christmas. And, given my diagnosis, I realize I could be in that same position, though, every part of my being refuses to believe that. When Christmas, 2010 rolls around, I will be just completing my chemo schedule and beginning radiation. Still, just in case, I wanted to thoroughly enjoy this Christmas and I have. Am trying not to focus on the upcoming thyroid biopsy and how that result might play into all of this.

But, that will just be another bend in the tunnel that will be dealt with when and if it happens. For now, I can not yet see that light at the end of the tunnel, but I can see the lights of Christmas all around me sending that comforting feeling of the Christmas miracle. And, in the words of Tiny Tim, God bless us everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Merry Chrismas Sis! I am so glad you are writing this blog as that is one of the many things you do so well.
    As bad as the weather is, it too makes us pause and realize the things we value most.
    See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a great day - there's nothing like a slumber party. This comes with all our good thoughts and prayers for a Christmas 2010 celebration marking the end of a joyous end to your trip through this tunnel. If you ever need someone to hold the flashlight at the end for a while, let us know - You've added light to many of our lives over the years and we're all here, ready and willing to reflect some of that light back your way whenever needed - Jean

    ReplyDelete