Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Chemo

I DID it! I made it through my FIRST chemo treatment. (The first treatment itself, that is...not the first chemo's side effects. That will come later.) Anyway...

What a long day! I arrived at the Cancer Center at 7:30 AM and slid in the front door. Labs were first so that was my first experience with my new port. I was afraid it might be very painful since the incision isn't healed yet but she was very sensitive to the situation and it really didn't hurt much at all.

Following that, we were sent back up to the reception area to wait and the doctor was running behind today so it was almost an hour past my appointment time when we got to see the oncologist. He had the results of my MUGA scan and PET scan. The MUGA is done to confirm that your heart is strong enough to handle the chemo drugs because the ones I am getting are hard on your heart. He said I did fine on that so it would not be a problem to move forward with the chemo.

The PET Scan...
Well, he started by saying that he saw no evidence of the cancer having spread, BUT

What? Not again...the same thing happened when we had our treatment consultation. (The tumor is small, it was caught early, it hasn't spread to the lymph nodes, BUT)

I forgot to mention that my particular tunnel is not only long...it is apparently designed with numerous twists and turns so that it is not always possible to see the light at the end from where you're standing at any given moment.

My right thyroid gland showed up very brightly which indicated a high concentration of the radioative dye. This is how they look for possible areas of cancer. Now, he said that he doesn't necessarily think that it is cancer, but it is something. And that something could be cancer. So on January 6, I will have another biopsy...this time of my thyroid gland. He debated cancelling todays chemo session but after consulting with one of his collegues, he decided to go ahead. The long delay through the holidays and waiting for another biopsy would not be in my best interest. So, I went back out to the reception area to await my turn to be called back for chemo. At this point, we were now more than an hour behind schedule. We waited about another half hour and finally it was my name they were calling over the intercom.

I had been awake since 4am anticipating this moment. My nerves were shot. But a wonderfully kind nurse walked me through the entire process and promised to be there with me every step of the way. She was great. When she injected the insideous drug she saw me grimace and asked if I could taste it. There is a sort of gunmetal taste associated with it and she suggested a mint to help. She also offered additional iv fluids to help lessen the nausea. She did everything possible to alleviate my fears. Hats off to Jackie (not sure if that is the way she spells it).

Someone from the Resource Department also stopped by to visit with me. She gave me information on Breast Cancer itself as well as information on Support Groups, hats, wigs, etc.

We got home around 2:00. What a long day. I am very tired, somewhat lightheaded, have a slight headache, a bit of nausea, but not bad. I'm hanging in there. The next two days are supposed to be tough but I am hoping the nausea meds I have will be enough to counteract whatever comes my way. The one prescription retails for $540 for 2 pills, one for day 2 and one for day 3. Thank GOD for insurance. They should be good, wouldn't you think? We'll know soon enough.

For now...that's it. I think I need a nap. Will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. HI Cathy,
    We are both definetly walking with you on this journey and will be so pleased to be able to follow your progress on this blog. We have another very close friend in California that is going through this same process. I think I will share your blog with her if you don't mind.
    We love you,
    Dodie and Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to log on tonight and see how today went. Now, we'll gear up some more prayers for the next few days and then Jan. 6th. You're doing great. Take care and know we're thinking of you daily and praying for you continually ... all of you. Give the kids and Ken our best - Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. One down! You have lots of guardian angels up there ready and willing to hold you up when you need strength and guide you to that light at the end of the tunnel. Hope the next two days will go smoothly and you are always in our thoughts and prayers. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, several people and the Lord are walking with you on this journey. May all provide strength, courage, and hope.

    Pastor John

    ReplyDelete