Monday, December 28, 2009

Perspective

"I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man with no feet." --Anonymous

Yesterday I was a little down. Didn't even feel like writing. Christmas was over. Kelli and Brett had left. I had endless waves of nausea...felt like I was developing minor mouth sores. My legs, hips and back hurt from the Neulasta. But, then I met Jake Olson. Well, I didn't meet him but I saw him on TV. He has cancer as well and he is just 12 years old. He recently had surgery to remove his cancerous right eye. Having lost his left eye when just an infant, this latest surgery left him completely blind. And, he's dealing with it.

Not only dealing with it, but dealing well. Do I think that he never has a down day? Can't imagine that he doesn't. But, it is not the random days that define who you are through this. It is the overall picture. Jake focuses on what he has, not what he doesn't. And, shame on me if I can't learn something from that.

I have an unbelievably supportive network of family and friends. My husband...I don't even know how to start to thank him. He cooks for me, he cleans, does the laundry, gets groceries, acts as courier between my home and office and is just always there for me. He and my kids bought a wardrobe of loungewear, soft sheets, warm blanket, slippers and so much more to try to keep me comfortable. They bought me a Chameleon bracelet with a tiny pink ribbon and a bag of charms to be added one at a time after each chemo session. This is one more way they are trying to keep me focussed on the end result rather than the day to day inconveniences.

I've received many calls, emails, meals, and words of support from friends and family. I have many followers on this blog. If I have an occasional post where I sound down, please forgive me. I assure you, it won't last long.

I may have cancer but I am a very lucky individual. I've had a good life and it continues to be so. (even though I absolutely HATE feeling nauseous :)

I'm back to work today, though, for now, it has to be from my home office. Tomorrow I have another appointment at the Cancer Center. And, my sister and brother-in-law from Denver are headed this way to spend a few days with me. Life is good.

2 comments:

  1. You are entitled to a down period sometimes - you have a right to grieve your situation. Know that when you are down, we will intensify our prayers for you for strength and courage to fight and will do our best to hold you up when you need it. Do you have to go in for blood work tomorrow? Marilyn

    ReplyDelete