Thursday, April 22, 2010

Those Milestones

Tomorrow is a chemo day again and it seems like I am always looking for something to ease the mental challenge of that. This week I didn't have to look far.

Let me tell you a story...

Awhile back, I mentioned that we had a number of milestones ahead of us. Over the past weeks, we've celebrated the birthdays, toasted the halfway point in this round of chemo and now, the big one.

40 years ago, on April 25, 1970, Ken and I were married and embarked on our new life together. So much has happened over the years, including the growth of our family to incude 3 children and 3 grandchildren.  Last summer, that family put their heads together to come up with a plan for a celebratory family gathering in Las Vegas for our 40th wedding anniversary. We all had plans to meet there for a couple days of relaxation and celebration of life and love. But, a funny thing happened on the way to Las Vegas...

I was diagnosed with cancer and those plans had to be put on hold. Ken and I assumed we would instead be celebrating quietly on our own until we received a phone call last week-end informing us that we would still be celebrating with all of our kids...it would just be here in Sioux City, not in Las Vegas. What a surprise and how exciting to have our whole family together for the occasion.

I will still have to endure treatment on Friday but we'll then be able to spend time with Michelle, Matt and Sara and Kellli and Brett and, if their busy adolescent calendars allow, maybe a little time with the grandkids as well. No hoopla...just a quiet family dinner, but how perfect.

Life doesn't always lead us down the paths we may plan...we've learned that over the years...but it all comes down, once again, to living to the fullest whatever path we end up on. The last couple of years have brought unexpected serious health issues to both of us, but we're still here to celebrate 40 years of life and love with those who mean the most to us and that's what it's all about. What a fantastic week-end this will be!

ALSO...if you read the previous post from my sister (if you didn't, please scroll down and read it) you are aware that in two weeks she is coming back from Denver and joining with friends and family here to participate in the Susan Komen Race for the Cure on my behalf. AWESOME! What a support system I have.

I may have cancer, but I am truly blessed!

Later.

5 comments:

  1. I was just logging on to wish you luck tomorrow and also "Happy Anniversary". Somehow I wondered if those kids of yours wouldn't all find their way home this weekend. ENJOY! This note comes with prayers for your treatment day and also for safe travel for the kids. You made it, girl! 1/2 way through round 2 and 40 years with the same man. You should be feeling UNSTOPPABLE ! - Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Cathy & Ken on the big "40". You can still do the Vegas thing as a celebration of beating this cancer thing. Have fun with the whole family and enjoy this day.

    Cindy B. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice that you are able to enjoy a weekend with all your kids, and Happy 40th anniversary to you & Ken. What a milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going out of town tomorrow to my aunt's 90th birthday and I know I'll forget to log on tomorrow night so ... I'll just be early. Wanted to wish you both a wonderful anniversary! Have a great time. - Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary. I am thrilled that you are able to spend it with family. It doesn't matter where it is just that it is. Your looking great keep up the good work. Keep going and take one step at a time. It is beautiful today just enjoy it. Barb

    ReplyDelete