Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday

Chemo day again. Not looking forward to spending the better part of the day at the Cancer Center. Just doesn't seem right. After all...it's Good Friday. And Kelli's birthday. And tomorrow is Matt's birthday. And Sunday is Easter.

Let me digress for a moment. Yes, Kelli's birthday is April 2 and Matt's is April 3. And my Mother-in-law's birthday was April 3 as well. And that takes me back to the days when the kids were little and I was training for Supermom. This meant no fewer than 5 birthday cakes and I baked them all myself. Oh, yes I did (most of the time). There was one for Kelli's actual birthday and family celebration and another for her party with friends. There was one for Matt's actual birthday and family celebration and one for his party with friends. And, we always celebrated with Ken's mom so depending on how the days fell, there was a minimum of one cake for her or the three of them together or maybe one for each of them. FIVE or more. Those were the days. I can't even remember now when the last time was that we did that. I'm sure at the time, we didn't even realize that it was our last time and I for sure never gave a thought to the fact that in x number of years I would be spending my day at the Cancer Center rather than making cakes. Funny how things work.

Don't know if it is the memories that are making me drag my feet today or the fact that it is Easter weekend and that just doesn't seem right or because I was pretty uncomfortable last week when I had the treatment or just the fact that I am really getting tired of spending so much tine there. Doesn't really matter, I guess, because, like it or not, I do have to get ready and go.

I will try to log in later and update this post to let you know how it went. Sure hope it's a good Friday.

Later.

UPDATE:

Home after 5.5 hours at the Cancer Center. Long, tiring day. I even fell asleep during the chemo. Everything went well, though. I had to see a different doctor today since Dr. D. is on vacation. First time I have ever met a doctor who prays over his patients. My counts were lower today but fortunately was still able to have treatment. #4 down, 8 to go! Sure hope things go well over the next several days. I am finding that with the cumulative effects I am having a little worse time with each treatment. Last week I thought it was going to go great since I woke up Sunday morning feeling good for the first time. But things got worse as the day went on and probably my worst day of the week was yesterday...Thursday. I didn't feel well at all and that is a first for that late in the week. Marilyn is having all of us over for dinner on Sunday so that is a big help. Looking forward to it and hoping all is well. Guess that is about it. Hope you all have a great weekend and a blessed Easter.

Later.

By the way, there were 150 visits to this site M-F this week. That is incredible. Thank you all.

6 comments:

  1. I hope it is a "Good Friday" for you too. Wishing you and your family a nice Easter holiday. Loved reading the birthday cake story. My gosh! You were supermom! 5 or more cakes. I am really impressed.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy,

    Thanks for not pulling the plug!
    I do check every morning for "news" and am hoping that this HAS been a good day ...
    Sending happy thoughts, a big HUG & a wish that you get a chocolate egg or a bunny cake for Easter that tastes really good.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's hoping this was a good Friday for you - and the start of a good weekend. Take care and - since I'm sure they check the blog from time to time ... Happy Birthday, Kelli & Matt ! - Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. You neglected to mention that not only were there five cakes, there were five designer cakes. The kinds from those Wilton molds. You know, the kind you can't just throw frosting on with a spatula. The kind that takes about three hours to turn into a piece of art. They were awesome cakes.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for getting the anonymous back on. You looked great in church Sunday. Keep up the wonderful attitude you have and the gifted writing.

    Hope your Easter was joyous.
    Cindy B. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love hearing from a daughter who's proud of her Mom ... and rightly so, Kelli. She's a strong woman - and I'll bet she remembers making each one of those edible works of art for you.

    ReplyDelete