Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Tomorrow

Chemo tomorrow. Doesn't it seem like a year later you shouldn't still be going through this? Oh, how I long for the day when all of this will be behind me.

Still...in my quiet moments, when I let my thoughts run away with me, I have to admit that I actually fear that day when this is behind me. Why?

For the past year I have seen and been treated by a multitude of doctors. I'm monitored constantly. In looking back at the calendar on which I've recorded all of my appointments, I think there have been more days when I've had medical appointments than days when I haven't. So, I've never really had to think much about whether any cancer still exists or is growing or anything - a little bit when Dr. D. was concerned and ordered all of those tests - but, realistically, I've always felt like that couldn't really happen because they are always poking, sticking, checking, infusing, etc, etc.

However, once that stops, what happens? I read this today...
"Cancer cells are lethal because they proliferate beyond control and refuse to die. This isn't a foreign object in your body; this is YOU, your own biology going so against your nature, it can actually kill you. We all have cancer cells roaming silently through our bodies. They are part of what we are, and they're only dangerous when a genetic mutation allows them to take control."

So, when they're no longer monitoring me constantly, how do I not wake up in the morning wondering if some errant cell decided to mutate overnight, causing the evil cancer to start growing again? It's like walking a tight rope and knowing that someone has removed the safety net.

I physically can't wait to finish treatment, but, mentally, it is beginning to scare me. So, for now, I will go spend yet another day at the Cancer Center tomorrow, and I will do it willingly. Because, for now, as long as I'm doing that, I can rest easy.

Friday is my cancerversary. What can I possibly say about that?

Later.

3 comments:

  1. Cathy, don't spend precious moments worrying about "what ifs". None of us are guaranteed tomorrow. We could all be called home in a car accident beyond our control or any number of things. FAITH, without it, what would we all be? Embrace the day when this is all over.

    Happy Cancerversary!
    Cindy B. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Think positive. You are getting the bad cells gone now and they will still check to see that it is still gone. It won't be as often but it will be. Keep your chin up and remember we never know what tomorrow can bring so live every day like it is your last that way you have no regrets. I will be thinking of you tomorrow and so glad the worst is over. It will only get better from now on. Keep up the faith and the good work. Happy Anniversary. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not often have I been able to say to you during all this "I know how you feel" but in this case I kinda do. I remember bringing Angie home after she spent a month in the NICU. I was so scared. What if I missed something? What if I didn't understand her every need the way the nurses had? ... I was afloat in a sea of Whatifs. One of the hardest things I did but each day got a little easier and time passed.

    I won't say it will be easy but after where you've been over the last year you can do anything ! - Take care and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ! - Jean

    ReplyDelete