Saturday, August 14, 2010

Making Progress

Sorry to be so slow in posting this week. It has been very busy and hectic but the thing I noticed through all of that is that I am starting to be able to handle busy and hectic again. I am able to work more days and more hours per day. And, most of the time, I feel pretty good. I have my bad days as well. Sometimes even feel like I need to go back on anti-nausea meds. But those days are fewer and farther between. We're even hosting our grandaughter and one of her friends this week-end. So nice to have the energy to do that again.

Just read an update on George Karl's condition. If you recall I posted an entry about the Denver Nuggets Coach and his struggle with radiation awhile back. Since he went through all of that, he also developed blood clots as a result of his treatments. However, as of a couple of days ago...(from his blog)

"A lot has happened this past month for George first of all honored by Hoops for St. Jude being presented the George Karl Award for Courage in Sport and also honored at the ESPY's receiving the Jimmy V award for Perseverance, both awards being very deserving. Besides the awards he has had a successful tube removal on July 20 being able to get all of his nutrition through the mouth. He is experimenting with many different types of foods to see what works and what doesn't! It seems that soup and salads have worked for him in the last couple of weeks. The most important news is that George received his Pet Scan on Monday and was told by the doctors that he had a beautiful response to the primary site and the lump in the lymph node from the treatment plan. The next Pet Scan will be in four months and the recovery of his voice, taste and mucus is a work in progress but its getting better on a weekly basis. He is going on vacation for a couple of weeks and is looking forward to start coaching in September!"

He now considers himself a survivor. Remember my references to Lance Armstrong? It has been awhile since he fought the cancer battle but he is a walking, talking, riding and smiling testimony that cancer can be beaten.


Like Karl, I am planning a vacation as well. And, Lord willing, at the end of it I will be ready to increase my work schedule to the closest thing to full time that I have been able to muster since last November. First, I will have chemo day on Thursday, after which we will leave for a wedding in Denver and then spend some time with family before returning home the following week-end. And, speaking of the Cancer Center, I just found out that one of my friends will be spending the day there on Thursday as well, so hopefully I will have a chance to visit with her. She is just beginning her treatment schedule but time will pass and she will one day join the ranks of those of us who are beginning to feel like survivors. There was a time when I couldn't imagine reaching the point where I could say that but I am starting to feel like a survivor. Life is good!

Later.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you're seeing progress - and so happy you are getting back into "busy and hectic". You've always done both of those things very well.
    Have a great trip and please give Kelly my congratulations. You're right ... life is good. - Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I always knew that you were a survivor. You just needed to meet one more challenge. The good lord does not give you anything you can not handle. At time I am sure you wondered but I knew if you put your mind to it you would be successful. I am happy that you will be going on vacation.A change of pace is always good. Keep marching forward and soon it will all be behind you. Barb

    ReplyDelete