Monday, February 1, 2010

Love the Road You're On


Heard a car commercial the other day. Don't even know what kind of car. Doesn't matter. The gist of the commercial was "Love the road you're on." (Sorry to interject so many commercials. Guess it must have something to do with my advertising background.) Anyway, I couldn't help but think about what great advice that is for life. All of us find ourselves on roads we would prefer to not be on from time to time. But the only way to move through that portion of our life is to embrace it and move forward. So, that is what I am trying to do and you know what? I got some good news for the first time in a long time.

We finally got a call with the results of the pathology report on my thyroid. The tumor was benign. That's right. After all this, it was benign. But they had no way of knowing that without removing it and I'm fine with that. I just have to heal (kind of look like I tangled with Jack the Ripper right now) and get my meds figured out and then move on. I can live without a thyroid and I can definitely live without a thyroid cancer.

I love the road I'm on right now because for the first time in a long time, it appears to be straightening. No other treatments are going to interfere with the aggressive treatment of the breast cancer right now. I don't believe that I will even need to do the radioactive iodine treatment for my thyroid but won't know that for sure until I see the surgeon again on Thursday. If I don't have that, they shouldn't have to separate the chemo drugs I have been taking into separate treatments. And this is the road that will lead to my complete healing so what's not to love.

I didn't talk about it much, but after the thyroid cancer diagnosis, I forced myself to face the fact that maybe, just maybe, I wasn't going to make it through this after all. But tonight I feel absolutely euphoric. I am going to make it. And, I have to close my eyes to do it, but I can glimpse that light. See it?
Later.

8 comments:

  1. Such great news. Hopefully, you will be back on track for the experimental drug treatment you were checking into. God is with you on this journey.

    Cindy B. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't be happier to hear the news, and I love the photo you posted as well. We'll be back on the beach in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEST NEWS I've heard in a long time. You're all overdue for some good news. So ... take care and enjoy the moment. And thanks, by the way, for all the encouragement and positive attitude you're spreading with your postings. You've reset my internal "pity meter" more than once. It's time I enjoy the scenery on the road I'm on. Life's too short to do anything else. - Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely elated at this news! And so happy to know this news has recovered that oh so essential sense of hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear it wasn't cancer in the thyroid! Good news at last, keep hanging tough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful news for you to be able to pass on! We are thrilled and so happy for you! I also love the pic you posted with this. I remember our time there and love going back and enjoying the pics and the memories! Bless you always, Cathy!!

    Donna and Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Super news. You are on the right tract now. Keep up the good attitude and keep going forward. You look great and it soon will be over. Feb already. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thursday. Boy - you have a knack for picking icky weather days for Drs appointments. Hope the news today is all good. Take care - you're all in our thoughts and prayers. - Jean

    ReplyDelete