Friday, February 19, 2010

It's Friday!

It's Friday. I remember when that used to mean something. Now it seems that all days just kind of run together.

I went to the Cancer Center yesterday for labs and a consultation. It's funny how just walking in can bring on a wave of nausea. Not because having them access my port and take blood is particularly painful. It's not that bad. But, when they rub alcohol on the injection spot the smell is almost overpowering when you're already nauseous. And, when they flush the port with Heparin, forget it. I can not only smell that but taste it as well. I have learned that the only way to get through it is to pop a couple of Spearmint tic tacs before they start.

Once that was done, I went back out to the reception area to wait. It was a sunny day so I picked a chair in the sun and just kind of curled up. The resource director came over to talk to me about a program they have once a month to discuss makeup, etc. during chemo. They also show you how to add eyebrows once yours are gone. And other things too, I'm sure. It sounds like a great program but when you're feeling so sick it just doesn't seem to matter. Besides that, it is scheduled for March 1, just days after my next chemo treatment so doubt that I will join them.

As expected, my counts were low but not so low this time that I had to go on antibiotics. I had been praying all day that I wouldn't have to take antibiotics so that was great news. I just can't handle any more pills right now. Still can't go anywhere or do anything, but NO MORE PILLS! I think it's probably kind of like skiing down the icy mountain and not qualifying for a medal but not falling at least. You learn to celebrate the small victories.

I am feeling slightly better today so am hoping that the weekend will usher in a few days of feeling well prior to my next treatment. Hope you all have a good weekend as well.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sis, It is Friday and although I may think I had a crappy week, all I have to do is think about what you are going through and it puts it back into perspective. Whatever you do, please keep writing. It's not just a story, it is your life and how it changed overnight. I look forward to reading this every evening and am so glad you can put into words, exactly what you feel.
    I'm not sure if this would help or not, but crime scene investigators will use peppermint oil under their nose to help overpower obnoxious odors.
    Hope you have a couple of relatively better days and if nothing else, Friday means another week has ended and yet another week closer to the light.

    ReplyDelete