Thursday, February 4, 2010

Good to Go

Today was medical day. I had an eye appointment this morning and a followup with the surgeon this afternoon.

I have had problems with my eyes ever since I started chemo and I am unable to wear contacts for any length of time at all anymore so decided I better get checked out. I was a little concerned that my previous problem of unexplained bleeds in the retina might have returned. Fortunately not. My prescription hasn't even changed much from the last time. The biggest issue is just that chemo drys out your eyes. It dries out everything! And, therefore it becomes difficult to comfortably wear contacts. So I ordered a pair of glasses. I haven't worn glasses for years! In fact, the last pair I had, which I seldom wore, were single vision lenses so this should be a challenge. Kinda looking forward to it, though.

The surgeon removed my sutures which is such a relief. It feels much more comfortable without those. Right now the area is still really swollen but he said everything is healing well so that's good. Won't miss the Jack the Ripper look. He OK'd me to start chemo next week so here we go...

Interesting thing I didn't know...he said they found a small tumor on the left side which was also a follicular tumor. That hadn't shown up on the Ultrasound. There were several tumors on the left side but none of them appeared to be of the suspicious variety. It turned out to be benign as well but there is always the possibility of developing a malignancy so good riddance to them.

This has been a good week because other than feeling tired, I have felt really good. Have been going into work some and hope to get out a bit this weekend if the weather cooperates. I have to take advantage of this period before jumping back on the chemo roller coaster again next week. Hope you're all having a good week.

Later.

5 comments:

  1. It’s always good to see you at work. It makes things feel a little more normal. I know how you feel about wearing glasses. I’ve had contacts for over 30 years and only wear my glasses at home. Good luck starting up chemo again and remember – if you need anything just let me know. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to see you this morning. Drew came running into my office to tell me "Cathy's here" so you made everyone's day. Take care and send me a picture with the new glasses. I've always wanted to wear contacts but have the dry eye problem due to some meds I take and have always had to go the glasses route. Trifocals can be a real trip ( literally until you're used to them). Take care and we'll be praying for a good week for you. - Jean & Rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great to see you in church today. You looked GREAT!! Will keep you in my prayers.

    Cindy B. :-)

    p.s. Send Ken out for that dark chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy - First it was so good to see you in person in the office. You looked great! Saw Ken yesterday, he too seems to be on the up beat trail. Good luck with the Chemo this week. You are in our prayers and thoughts.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Cathy Wanted to let you know I'm praying for you and I think of you often. My devotions today covered Matt 5:14-16 Your blog that your doing is so cool. You are a light for others, I find encouragement through you. God Bless! Candace

    ReplyDelete