Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Light at the End of the Tunnel!!

It's been a long time coming and I must admit that there were times when I thought I would never see the end.

No...in case you think you missed something, I'm not there. But, I think I can finally see it. Today I completed my 12th and last treatment in my second round of chemo. Rounds one and two are completely behind me.

The day went well except for the fact that I now am experiencing totally unexpected critically elevated white counts which is a total turnaround for me. Dr. D. was flabbergasted to see that my white count had spiked to 31+. There have been times when it was as low as .04 which is basically non-existent. Normal is 3.5 - 11. Counts this high normally indicate a severe infection of some sort but I currently have no symptoms. They will be monitoring me very closly this next week, however, to watch for signs. In the meantime, plans are moving forward for Round 3. I will have 2 weeks off before starting treatment #1 on June 17. However, this will not just be downtime. Before then, I will have to undergo another MUGA scan to determine whether or not I have suffered additional heart damage during Round 2. If you recall, my last MUGA did show some deterioration of cardiac function from Round 1 but not enough, in the doctor's opinion, to discontinue treatment. I will also have more blood monitoring and will consult with the radiologist about beginning my radiation treatments.

That's right...this is a change from my originally scheduled course. Radiation was originally going to be done following the completion of chemo. They are now moving it up to run in conjunction with Round 3. I don't have a start date yet but it will be soon and will run every day for six weeks.

Other things I know - I will receive Round 3 chemo treatments every 3 weeks rather than every week, for nine months. Most people do not require shots for their white blood counts during this phase of treatment. Fatigue will, unfortunately continue to be a major issue. Things I sincerely hope - there will be fewer lfie altering side effects during this phase such as damaged taste buds and hair loss, drugs I have received over the past 6 months will slowly but surely leech themselves from my body, taking their poisoning and life-altering symptoms with them, and most importantly, that going off of these drugs will not allow any cancerous cells to remanifest themselves. Life will hopefully begin to return to normal. That said, my life will never again be what it was prior to October, 2009. I'm not sure how anyone could experience what I have over the past 6 months and not be changed forever by the experience. My attitude is different, my priorities are different, there is a deep-seated fear that will never leave my subconscious yet another deep-seated calmness and faith that realizes if I have made it this far I can summon whatever strength is required to complete this journey, however it may end.

In the meantime, I am excitedly celebrating this milestone and actually plan to enjoy a drive to Denver for an extended week-end to celebrate Brett's milestone of receiving his PhD in math after years of hard work toward that goal.

I will update you on white counts, MUGA results, radiation schedule, etc. as I know more. Oh, and one more exciting thing...I received my final charm today which completes my chemo bracelet. It's beautiful and so meaningful. Thanks Kelli, Matt, Michelle and Ken. I LOVE it.

Later.

7 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!! It must feel great to have round 2 behind you. We can't wait to see you (and your bracelet) next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! Spencer, Sara and I can't wait to see you next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, kiddos. We're really looking forward to it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi That is great news. I am not surprised. keep up the good work and get it done. You have the strength to complete what needs to be done. The good lord does not give you any more than you can handle.I have seen you in the office and you do have follow through.Start to the finish that is you. So excited you will be attending the graduation.Have a great time and think nothing about the cancer. Let the drugs do its thing and you just enjoy the day. Have a great holiday week end and will see you next week. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy for you - Rounds 1 and 2 down. I hope you know how proud we all are of you. You have shown that, come what may, the human spirit is something that can't be kept down. I remember days that Dad really was down, but whenever I asked how he was, his first answer was always "Vertical". I hope when I need it I can find some of the same positive attitdue you both have shown me. It seems to work wonders. Even if the situation can't change - the outlook always can.

    Please give the kids my best and congratulate Brett for us. What a great accomplishment.

    Have fun in Denver. I agree with Barb - let the medicine work and you just have fun.
    You know what ? I think that tunnel's getting shorter and the light's getting brighter. Have a great week -- Jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well - it's Wednesday. Hope your blood counts are stablizing and you have a great trip this weekend. We'll be thinking about you. -

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you a WONDERFUL weekend. Travel safely.

    ReplyDelete