Wednesday, March 24, 2010

When the Going Gets Tough...

Some days are just tougher than others...

Not just for me, but for all of us. In my case, there are mornings when it is a struggle just to get out of bed. This morning was kind of like that. I slept well but was still tired when it was time to get up. And I hurt. But I did get up and I did manage to get ready and go to work. Since I have been on the new chemo schedule, I have been able to make it into the office much more regularly. For short days, but still...This gives me such a boost because getting up and going to work is such a normal thing to do. And it has seemed like a long time since my life has seen much "normal."

I think that is one thing that has even made it difficult to write. If you don't feel normal and people don't treat you normal, pretty soon you start believing that you're not.  It's easy to feel like you're not a part of what is going on out there. And, I don't like that feeling. So, it's time to get back to living.

Not only am I back to work but yesterday, when Ken got home, we went out for a walk. A WALK! It was short but the feel of the fresh air and sun was invigorating. The good news about the new chemo is that I now have more good days...days when I can work, go grocery shopping or for a walk. It is not without its issues. I mentioned the bone pain. I also have some minor mouth sores. That is not fun. Food still doesn't taste very good. And now, after losing my hair during chemo round one but keeping my eyebrows and eyelashes, they are rapidly disappearing as well and will soon be nonexistant. Not nearly as traumatic as the initial hair loss experience, but unpleasant to say the least. But, it's all doable.

On Friday, I will have the third treatment in this round. With that behind me, I will have made it to the single digits for number of these treatments remaining. And with the help and support of friends and family, I will make it to the end of that.  It's Spring, and just as the earth is being renewed, so am I. I love hearing from you all and knowing that you are out there cheering me on so keep it up. I appreciate it more than you will ever know.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. We'll be thinking about you tomorrow and saying a prayer - hope things continue to go as easily as possible for you. Hang in there - 1/3 of the way done with this round!
    Love, Marilyn and Russ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted you to know that I'll be thinking of you tomoroow and praying for a tolerable day and another week you can enjoy. It sounds like you'll have chances next week again to go for a walk and feel the sun.

    Thought you might like one of my favorite quotes: “Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow.”
    – Mary Anne Radmacher

    Your courage and outlook is an inspiration to us all. Hope to see you soon - Jean

    ReplyDelete